Attention Male Singers
WE WANT YOU!
Village Christian Church is our rehearsal location. The church is located at 3113 Primrose Drive, one block east of Hancock and two blocks north of Fillmore. (See Map) Membership includes free voice lessons. Don’t read music? No problem, it is not a requirement! It’s a lot of fun to sing and perform with a quartet or in the chorus. We perform two major shows each year. Come to a rehearsal and see what we are all about. You are welcome even if you decide not to join our Chapter.
We are indeed fortunate to have Jim Clark as our director. He is without of doubt one of the most knowledgeable individuals in the society when it comes to vocal technique and presentation. Jim got his barbershop start in the Rocky Mountain District, watching his Dad, Dr. Dan Clark, sing in the quartet, Chordial Celebration, and in the Scottsbluff, NE chorus, the Sugar Valley Singers. While in college, he sang in a number of quartets, including the 1995 Central States District champ, Freefall, and the International Medalist college quartet, Millennium. He currently sings Lead in the 2010 International Gold Medal champion quartet, Storm Front, and has previously directed the Valentine City Chorus in Loveland, CO. He has also been the section leader for the International Medalist Chorus Sound of the Rockies for the last 10 years. We are fortunate to have a director with such outstanding credentials and talent leading our chorus.
What is Barbershop Harmony?
Barbershop Harmony is four-part, a cappella, close-harmony singing, with the melody in the second tenor, called the “lead.” Tenor (counter-tenor voice) harmonizes above the lead singer; bass sings the lower harmonizing notes, and the baritone provides in-between notes to form constant, pleasing chords. Barbershop is a “melting pot” product of African-American musical devices, European hymn-singing, and an American tradition of recreational music. It is often referred to a music style indigenous to America. The melodies are in the vocal and skill range of the average singer, with lyrical emphasis on simple, heartfelt emotions such as love, friendship, mother, moon & June and the girl next door.
Is Barbershop for Me?
There’s only one question you need to ask yourself. Are you a man that loves music and loves to sing? If the answer is yes, then Barbershop could be just what you’ve been looking for. You can devote as much time as you have available to the group. We all have our own jobs, families, and responsibilities that take up most of the time. Our members have found that our flexible schedule fits easily into their busy lives. We hold one rehearsal per week, and have several set shows during the year that we ask our members to attend. Additional events and activities are optional. A cross section of our society includes all types of people: rich and poor, professional workers,non professional, black, white,etc. Our only goal is good citizenship, fellowship and vocal singing.
How do I become a member?
Once you’ve become familiar with the music, a simple audition is the next step. We are a very supportive group. Your success is our success. We’ll help you prepare for the audition – which will happen in your own time. Take as much or as little time as you want to prepare yourself for this step. During this time you’ll learn about the different parts that make up the Barbershop Harmony. Once you’ve passed your audition and have decided that you’re committed to being a part of the America The Beautiful Chorus, you will complete a simple membership application.
What are the benefits of being a member?
- New Member Kit (first year) includes membership certificate, membership card, the Harmonizer Magazine, Harmony Marketplace catalog, various informational brochures and materials
- 6-issue subscription of the Harmonizer Magazine (Bi-monthly publication)
- A Buy 1 – Get 1 Free International Convention Registration in 1 of first 2 years of new membership
- Full membership in the Barbershop Harmony Society, granting discounted prices on some merchandise and also the Harmony University
- Hertz Auto Club – rental discount on car rentals
- Ebiz Access – print rosters, manage your personal profile, find members, chapters or quartets, manage your chapter and more!
- The right to belt out Barbershop Harmony with friends at any given time – within the welcome environment of “sympothetic ears.”
- You play a personal role in helping the Society perpetuate Barbershop Harmony, originally known as “Close Harmony”
- Access to a vast library of Barbershop harmony originals, and popular songs arranged for Barbershop
- An ever-growing volume of music and songs arranged by men from inside the hobby
- Competitions – a great way to grow as a singer, learn how to improve, and even win awards!
- Fellowship and fraternity. It’s hard to put a price tag on the friendships and relationships established in Barbershop